Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Bo-Bo Knows the Idiocy of Fashion

Bo-Bo is all about functional fashion. His year-round fur aside, he was perfectly happy with a simple collar in classic black (I was the sucker that upgraded him to a more handsome design). He doesn't care that when the winter hits he'll be wrapped up in a coat that makes him look like a stained glass window (it was the only one that would fit him). And even though Petco tries to tempt him with the latest and greatest in doggie chews, Bo always comes back to his as-of-late-disemboweled monkey we gave him on day one. He's quite sentimental that way.

Bo-Bo knows the idiocy of fashion, which makes him smarter than half the women in the world. Hear me out! Somebody--designers or magazine editors or some combination of both--decides what's in for the season and lemmings with more money than sense go out and buy it. I have a fashion-conscious friend who's always trying to tell me that certain things I like aren't "in."

Well, screw that! If I like something, I'm wearing it. You think I'm gonna retire all my peasants skirts when they finally go "out." Not even hardly. And really, just because somebody says it's fashionable to wear big shirts with a belt around them doesn't mean it looks anything but idiotic. No white after labor day? Fascism! Boots in the fall and winter only? Tell that to the cowboy boot wearing population!

Need further proof fashion is insane? Ever try walking the beach in those ankle socks eveybody's wearing now? They slip off of your ankle (because by design there's NOTHING to hold them there) and migrate to just beneath your heel. Because walking on the beach is SO much better when you're walking on a wad of cotton.

And no, it didn't bother me at all that my preference for walking the beach in crew socks led to a sock line during the height of sandal season. Oh, the horror! Believe me, the kind of people who care about my sock line aren't the kind of people I want to bother with. Bo-Bo--who once gnawed off the booties I put on him in a lame attempt to protect the pads of his feet from rock salt--agrees.

4 comments:

  1. Cath tell me you didn't wear sandals with socks!!! Bo is sooo cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Although I like the ankle socks. I can wear them with shorts....

    I totally wanted to get clothes for our cats by Nic said absolutely not... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's more Bo-Bo knows? This waiting is intolerable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a fever, and the only cure is more Bo-Bo Knows!

    ReplyDelete