Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bo-Bo Knows Recovery

The squirts. The runs. The trots. The shits. Whatever your favorite euphemism for diarrhea, Bo-Bo has it. Every hour since midnight. Sure, new parents get kept up half the night, but at least they don't have to take their babies outside and whine at them to just poop already.

We called the vet. The tech at reception told us to collect a sample. We told the tech said sample was liquid. Very liquid. Tech assured us even a smear would do. We collected a sample. Scratch that. I collected a sample. Bo yelped as he went, as if to say, "the burning, oh the burning!"

I took the sample to the vet. Ever drive in a car with a plastic bag smeared with poo? Don't. The tech tested the smear for, I don't know exactly, but it came up negative. I drove Bo home. Bo's pooping went from chocolate fountain to just plain fountain. Shitting water is never a good sign. Neither is barfing bright yellow. I called the tech; the tech called Bo and me straight back into the office.

Injection of antibiotic. Pills. Food so expensive I took out a second mortgage. Fluids administered by IV. Did you know pooches get their fluids dumped under the skin? The effect is remarkably Quasimodo. Tech swore the fluids would be absorbed in an hour. And, although Bo was not to eat again until tomorrow, he needed more antibiotic tonight. Because there's nothing so fun as shoving a pill down a starving pooch's throat.

Bo retaliated by crapping in the house while I tutored. I'm pretty sure it was the aforementioned shits that caused this, though there's an off chance Bo's little gift might have been a critical response to the little song I sang to him while we waited in the vet's office (to the tune of the Oscar Meyer wiener theme song):

My Bo-Bo has a first name
It's B-O-dash-B-O
My Bo-Bo has a second name
It's G-O-T-2-go

He'd like to stay out all the day
And if you asked me why I'd say
Cause Bo-Bo has the shits today
And that is really not O-K.

In my defense, I got nothing but interrupted sleep last night. And when you think about it, who's fault was that?

8 comments:

  1. That may well be the best oscar mayer song yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are worse claims to fame, I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laughing so damn hard on the Oscar meyer BO BO Bologna song that I almost woke mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never has doggie sickness inspired such genius. I am impressed!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, it's pretty messed up when your puppy has the runs and you console him by singing a 'diarrhea jingle.' :)

    I love the blog! It makes my week worthwhile...

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is good practice for parenting :-) (in case you ever decide to go that route)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or a cosmic warning that I am not (and may never be) ready for the upheaval that is parenthood.

    ReplyDelete