Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bo-Bo Knows Gratitude for Grub Street

After the initial shock of the September 11th attacks wore off—once it became clear that the nuclear bombs I'd been bracing for weren't imminent—it became even more clear that my well-intended plan to satisfy my urge to write with a career in journalism was absolutely cock-eyed.

I wish I could say that 9/11 had stirred my inner heroine. That I'd been called to enlist or become a firefighter or paramedic or grief counselor. But the only calling I felt was the same old call to write fiction that I'd been ignoring for years. It was time to write for me— not just a paycheck. So I bought a notebook and started what would turn out to be failed novel number1, but my problems were bigger than a second failed book: the journalism skills that helped me tell true stories were letting my fiction fall flat.

Enter Grub Street, the Boston-based non-profit creative writing center extraordinaire.2

By December, 2001 I was scribbling away in a beginning fiction class at Grub Street.3 That first class gave me the most precious of gifts: access to a community where like-minded individuals didn't need me to explain why the writing itch I felt went deeper than journalism's ability to scratch.

At Grub Street, I was welcomed as a writer as long as I showed up willing to learn. And that welcome took the form of established writers who had clear memories of what it felt to be just starting out, peers who knew what POV4 stands for, seminars on topics I wanted to wade around in for an evening and workshops on topics I wanted to immerse myself in for weeks, opportunities to read my work and hear others read theirs, encouragement, commiseration, and a safe place to take risks, build confidence, foster friendships, and line myself up for the all-important, if occasional, kick in the ass.

Last night I met with a couple of Grub-Street novelists to swap scenes from our novels-in-progress, chat about what's working and what still needs work, and just generally refill the well that drains down to nothing by unchecked solo-time spent blinking at my computer screen. I walked away feeling jazzed—for their books, for mine, and for the process in general.

For the most part, the non-writing world only recognizes writers once they've got an Amazon sales rank. But Grub Street recognizes writers in the fast-talking breathless ways we speak when talk turns to writing, in the beautiful turns of phrases that shine like daffodils among our beginner dandelion sentences, and in our Herculean ability to nurture a willingness to stick to the page in the face of long, long odds.

For the guidance, friendships, and all the ways leading to ways5 I can trace back to finding my own way into that first Grub Street class almost eight years ago, I'm more grateful than I have words to describe. Maybe some Grub Street someone will help me with that, too.


1 Out of four failed novels. Five times is hopefully the charm...novel number five is the only one that graduated to revision stage, so it's already more successful than all the others combined.

2
I think it's only fair to disclose that I'm an ambassador at Grub Street. Though I want to be clear: I'm not writing this piece because I'm an ambassador, but I'd bet I got tapped to become an ambassador because I love Grub enough to think to write a piece like this.

3
Novelist Lisa Borders was at the helm. I couldn't have asked for a friendlier, more doggedly enthusiastic first face of Grub.

4
Point of view.

5
With apologies to Robert Frost.

3 comments:

  1. Holy footnotes, Batman!! :)

    I'm glad you are pursuing writing for you. If you weren't, I wouldn't have my daily fix (of reading that is, coffee would still be around).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Grub Street has provided me the community I wish I had had over 20 years ago when I was first starting out. I'm glad they were there a few years ago when I got back into it.

    Interesting statement in your post about how your journalism skills were contributing to your fiction falling flat. I have always wondered if these two types of writing contradict each other. Were you finding the formulaic and confining structure of boiling down information to write articles limiting your creativity? It seems like with writing fiction you have to let a lot of that go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally: It's not the journalism hurt my fiction completely--I definitely credit journalism with my gusto for research, my absolute comfort with writing fast and ugly and figuring it out later, and an ability to buff sentences smooth. But all the writing practice made me totally underestimate how difficult it was going to be to switch to fiction. In journalism, a spark of news is enough to merit an article--you build the flesh of the story around the nugget. But try to hang a short story on the spark of an idea and you get characters who exist solely to convey your capital-M "Message."

    I guess for me, when I had a bunch of quotes in a reporter's notebook, it was easy to see that the quotes that surprised me--the ones that made me laugh or cry or whip my head around when the person said them--are the quotes worth keeping. When I started writing stuff that I was making up, I failed to realize just how hard I'd have to work to surprise myself. That the first idea wasn't going to be the best one to use anymore than the first thing a source said got anywhere near their hearts.

    In other words, Just as I had to sit with that WWII prisoner of war for a couple hours before he trusted me enough to break down and give me the emotion behind the facts, I had to learn how to sit with my characters long enough that who they were sparked longer and brighter than their silly little plots.

    I had made the biggest mistake a reporter turned fiction writer could make: naively assuming that making things would be easy.

    ReplyDelete