Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bo-Bo Knows Gratitude for Tea

Some fanatics will tell you it's all about the ritual, but I think tea's simpler than all that. When I make my daily cup(s) of Bigelow's Plantation Mint black tea, I boil water and plop a bag in without ceremony. Unless, of course, it's ceremonial to use the same hand-painted, orange-and-yellow paisley mug with every sitting. I use it in part because it's the most beautiful mug I own, but mostly because it's big enough to dilute the tea just the way I like it, not so insulated I can't feel the warmth of the water within, and its slick sides roll with ridges my fingers run up and down while my mind drifts elsewhere.

OK. Maybe drinking tea's about personal ritual after all.

But it's also a diet drink. Some people claim that caffeine stimulates the appetite, but tea's been nothing but a calorie suppressant for me. I replaced the caffeine in two cans of soda a day with the caffeine in two bags of tea. Then I replaced a sweet treat after dinner with a healthy yogurt concoction and tea. And if the first waft of spearmint makes me smile as I pour it, or the heat from the water holds the winter cold at bay, well, bring it on.

Forget wanting to buy the world a cokewhat kind of peace and harmony can I buy with a few billion mugs of black mint tea? About as much as that coke did you say? Aw well. The way I see it world peace is less about sweeping global change and more about a pandemic of individuals taking responsibility for their personal peace.

I'm no statesman, but even I'll raise a steaming mug to that.

1 comment:

  1. We have a tea cabinet and will have evening tea after dinner (sometimes with biscuits, mmmmmm, biscuits). I totally think there is personal ritual involved with tea. It's just like coffee, as well. I have 3 cups in the am (one while reading this), as well as French press in the evening if we are not feeling in the mood for tea. Mint tea, BTW is awesome!

    ReplyDelete